The holiday season is now in full swing! Christmas decorations have been up for many weeks now. Thanksgiving and Black Friday have come and gone. Gift giving is in full swing now. While getting gifts may be one of the best parts of the holidays, we cannot forget the true meaning of this time of year. We should be thankful for all our blessings in life and we should be finding away to give back to those less fortunate than ourselves.
There are so many great organizations and charities that rely on our help! However, it can often be overwhelming deciding which charity to give your money or time too. The following is a list of ideas or ways to give back.
1. Sponsor and child or family for Christmas
Most churches have a tree that has a child or family’s name on it. Buy a present and return to the tree at your church
2. Give the Salvation Army person a donation on your way into the grocery store
3. Text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Hurricane Sandy victims
4. Volunteer your time at your local food pantry
5. Volunteer your time at your local Humane Society (our furry friends need our love, too!)
6. Find a volunteer group on Meetup.com to join where you can do community service with a like-minded group of people
7. Pay it Forward
Do a nice deed for a perfect stranger- smile, hold the door open for someone, let them cut you in line, buy their Starbucks
Remember, giving to others will be the best gift you could possibly get this holiday season!